Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dumplins and Peanut Butter Cookies


I took a couple of much needed days off on Thursday and Friday, and really enjoyed them both. My mom and I went to Canton on Thursday, which we try to do every year. It was HOT but we spent some time together and I got lots of cute stuff. On Friday, we went to one of Josie's great-grandmas, Meme, in Carthage. She has only gotten to see her twice, and we knew she would really love a visit from Josie.

Showing Meme how she can almost walk!


She thought Hayes was something. I think the combination of his scooter and his loud voice really peaked her interest. She stared at him the entire day. Even when he was just talking to us, she would be laughing at him and wanting to act like he was "getting her."



She even went for a ride!


Meme is known for her delicious, country, down home cooking. I think we talked about and guessed what she may cook for us about 3 times before we went up there. Everything is from scratch, and we just don't come by meals like this that often! She cooked chicken and dumplins, creamed corn, butter beans, sweet potatoes, fried okra, cornbread, peach jello (homemade kind of course), and peanut butter cookies. I had seconds, and Joey had thirds. I had to include a picture of Josie's bowl of dumplins after she was through. It was almost all the way full!

It is neat to hear stories from people in that generation. We heard about Hayes buying 140 acres for $600, and his grandfather traveling to Alabama by ox and carriage (it took 6 months)! I am happy for Josie to get to spend time with them. She was an angel the whole way there and back. Now I get 2 more days off... Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

Janice said...

Josie looks like such a big girl in those pics. She is growing up fast! Meme seems really sweet :)

Morrell Family said...

Yummy! Can I go to MeMe's next time:)