Saturday, October 18, 2014

Liza Update - 37 weeks



 
I am 37 weeks as of today. I want to document the good, bad, and the ugly for my blog book so here goes... this pregnancy has been tough! And I cannot even really tell you why. I just have not felt like myself and have had more aches and pains. I do not know if it is the exhaustion from having 2 other littles, from my older age (31), or if I have just become a bonified wimp! I have really hit a brick wall the past few weeks and I could not be more ready to get my hands on this baby girl. I must focus on the end outcome... I think I can, I think I can!
 
Josie and Colbie's sweet little hands trying to catch a kick =)

 
36 weeks... I have no clothes that fit. If you see me within the next 2 weeks, I will probably have this shirt on =)


 
Now the juicy details. I found out about 30 weeks or so that Liza was breech. We knew she had plenty of time to turn head down, but I have just had a feeling in the back of my mind it wasn't going to happen. I asked if there was anything I could do, but my OB told me there was not. He said I would be a great candidate for an ECV (external cephalic version) and that if she did not turn by 36 weeks we would talk about it. Basically during an ECF, they put you in the hospital, maybe give you meds, put the baby on the monitor and under ultrasound the doctor attempts to turn the baby by applying pressure on the outside of your abdomen. It was not a guarantee, and if it did not work I would have to have a C-section.
 
I have never really thought much about C-sections. I have had such easy, fast, perfect deliveries in the past that I never thought I would be faced with a section. The thought of having one made me really nervous (remember I am a nurse and have been in the OR too many times). So I knew I would do whatever possible to have this baby the old fashioned way.
 
After an ultrasound at 35 weeks, we knew she was still breech and that the placenta was in a position that may make the ECF even less likely to be successful. We went ahead and scheduled it with a hopeful heart and lots of prayers! I did make the silly decision to watch an ECF on youtube and read all the risks involved which didn't help my nerves. But I know how Dr. Gillespie is, and I know he would never recommend anything he was not comfortable with. He put me at ease and Thursday was the big day.
 
They started an IV, but I did not require an medication, thank goodness. The procedure itself did not take long at all, but unfortunately it was unsuccessful. He attempted to turn her each direction a couple different times, but do to her being frank breech (booty down, feet up by head) it made it too difficult. She was unable to help "crawl" into the correct position. She also had one little spell of bradycardia which happens when you try to manipulate a baby. He told me at that point that it looks a section is in my future. The likelihood of her turning is pretty slim, due to the fact she is frank breech. It is possible, but not likely. The procedure was very uncomfortable, but I wouldn't say painful. It was worth a shot! I wanted to do everything I could, but some things are just out of our hands.
 
After the attempt... see I was still smiling =)
 
They wanted to watch her on the monitor a while before I went home, and after the hour was up, the nurse same in to tell me I was having contraction every 3-4 minutes and she could not let me go. He wanted me to stick around. I could feel these contractions but they were the same I had been having all week. They didn't feel like the real deal although they are uncomfortable. They never really let up so he came over to check on me. He decided I was ok to go home, but told me to come fast if I thought I was in labor due to the previous quick deliveries!
 
He will not schedule a c-section before 39 weeks... so at the most I have 2 weeks left. Maybe something will happen then.. and just maybe this baby with TURN BABY TURN! 

No comments: