Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ross Bridge Resort

 We were lucky enough to spend last weekend at this place for Joey's Summer Regional meeting. The place was such a treat. Now these pictures may lead you to believe otherwise, but my kiddos were not quite the treat. Renaissance at Ross Bridge is in Hoover, AL, outside of Birmingham. The place is top notch.. beautiful golf course, excellent service, delicious food. We left on a Thursday, and Joey had meetings on Friday and Saturday until 12:00. Afternoons were for family time, and we would leave Sunday morning. I had the mama bear intuition that Colbie had an ear infection before we left, so we made a trip to Immediate Care a few days before and started antibiotics. We thought we were in the clear and were excited to celebrate her birthday there. This would be our longest car ride with these 2 yet (4 hours) and we were supplied with lots of snacks, cold drinks, new movies, new toys (you name it).
Pulling out of the hood! She was pumped to go to the "castle"!

They actually did pretty good in the car. Colbie ate a lot of goldfish. We made it all the way to Tuscaloosa where we stopped and ate at Ruby Tuesdays with the Ladners. Josie went ahead and set her attitude for her trip there. She had a complete meltdown when I walked outside of the building and was clinging to me like she had never left Brentwood Lane. I was having flashbacks from right after Colbie was born. Anyways, we had lunch and headed just a few more miles to seek out the Castle.

After we got settled in our rooms, they had a Mexican Buffet sat up outside on the terrace with face painting and balloons for the kids. After Josie saw Avery's flower, she had to have one. Colbie mostly walked around and greeted everyone. I realized this trip just how much of a social butterfly she is.




That night, they had a meeting for just the attendees and spouses. They supplied hired sitters with fun activites for the kids. I knew this was not going to go over well. They were EXHAUSTED and Josie was having some mommy issues. I got called out of the metting just 15 minutes in. Off to bed we went.

The next morning, I had breakfast with the girls (which was delish by the way ) and then we hit the pool. We got to hang out with April, Avery, Holden, and Finley.

The birthday girl absolutely LOVED the splash pad. She had the whole place cracking up. She has no fear whatsoever, and skint her chin to prove it =(



Josie and Avery had fun by the pool


They couldn't get enough of the pool. Colbie was also very fond of a little bridge they had (wish I took a pic) that she obsessed walking over and over and over. I may have grabbed her off of it 900 times. It was concrete and steep and she loved it.



Colbie's fever returned in the middle of the night Friday and she was up most of the night. I had to make a Walmart run for Motrin before daylight (we lost a bag). So then she was ready for a nap by 8am and Josie was up and ready to go swimming so it all got a little hairy at this point. I amused her for a while Colbie slept, and then we went for a quick swim before it got too hot. Joey saved the day when we got out around noon. He was ready for a nap and Colbie followed suit (lucky for me and Josie who got to go swim with Jasmine and jump off the side many, many times).
Smoochy time with daddy
 On Friday night, they had Italian dinner with a clown for the kids. Now this was right up the girl's alley. Colbie continued to walk from table to table and show off her gummy smile. Then the music got crunk up and it was on. Josie and Colbie did the Cupid Shuffle. For real, I am not lying. I have GOT to get the video on here. The whole group (about 150) people sang Happy Birthday to Colbie and she knew she was something, it was so speical.
Chillin on the balcony before dinner

Never realized she was holding an ash tray till now?

Josie waited in a long line very patiently for her "puppy" balloon. Then she messed it up where it was just a balloon. Luckily, Jasmine knew how to make it into a hat!



One of the many times she tried to escape.

The last night, we got dressed up for a nice dinner and awards ceremony. The kids had to go to the sitters again. We knew this was going to be an issue. We did all we could to prepare. Both girls had not one, but two naps that day. We had bribed Josie with everything under the sun that if she would be sweet we would get ice cream the next day or buy her a new dress or whatever she wanted! She decided she wanted to get earrings from the gift shop (interesting because her ears are not pierced), but she had to go to her sitter first. I really wanted to enjoy a nice dinner with Joey and his fellow FA's and wives. I knew he would be getting awards and I was so happy that it seemed like I would be there to see him get them.

We dropped them off, and Colbie was fine. Josie tried real hard but just couldn't fight back the tears. She panicked with a capital P. But we left her (we were one room over). Needless to say, I got called right before awards, but did get to enjoy the dinner.

They were both all smiles by the time we got to the room. I had to snap a pic of our dramatic, distraught Josie Kate.
Joey got 3 awards. I was so, so proud of him, even though I didn't get to see him. They are going to look so nice in his office.

So, as we left Hoover the next morning, we talked about how terrible are kids are (don't judge, we've all done it) and how nice it would have been if we left them at home. We already talked to both sets of grandparents about bringing some reinforcement next year. But as I looked through the pictures and thought about our trip just now, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Yes, having young children is not always convenient, but the the smiles and laughter and Cupid Shuffles between all the tears are SO WORTH IT.

Congrats to Joey, and forgiveness to my high maintenance babies. I wouldn't have it any other way =)

1 comment:

Morrell Family said...

I am so glad I am not the only one that feels that way sometimes:)