I called my parents once we were on the road, and texted Brad and Janice. Brad later told me that Janice hadn't slept that whole night for checking her phone, she just knew Josie Kate was coming. I didn't have a contraction until the big curve on 28th avenue, and boy was it a good one. Joey asked me "From a scale of 1 to 10, how bad was it? I was quick to should out "Ten"! It was strong, but didn't last long.
We got there, and I saw Dr. O'neal dictating at the nurses station. I was so happy to see him. We had been through alot together, you know? It's only natural to want your doctor to do it all. Although I do remember him looking really tired and maybe a little stressed? I found out later there was lots and lots of babies born that night at Forrest General. Weird how that happens. I asked Dr. O'Neal if he would still be here to deliver her, and he said he wasn't sure. He didn't know I was going to pull one over on him! The nurse got me settled into my gown, and he was waiting on me at the bed. I was 2cm at this time, and totally thinned. He told me I had to get a full bag of fluids before the epidural, which was fine with me. He offered me IV pain meds which I declined, I really wasn't hurting that bad and didn't want to be out if it. My nurse, who I will not write her name for protection, came in to do her part next. Since she was named after a country in Africa, I will call her Rwanda. I was getting sick, and I didn't remember reading about throwing up in my "what to expect" books. I asked her why I was throwing up, and she said "cause your in labor". So therapeutic! Remember that her shift had been on since 7pm Sunday night, and it had been a busy night. I think it's safe to say Rwanda was not wanting to shoot dice or anything like that. She asked me a million questions, and seemed a little aggravated if I didn't answer fast enough. I remember her asking if I wanted to apply for Wick and I said no. Joey asked "what's wick"? Well let me go ahead and tell you what not to say if ever put in this position. "Wick is for mothers who do not have much money". Due to ignornace on my part, I guess, I thought that it was mothers with less than a certain amount of income. Kenya did not agree. She said "I get so tired of people saying that. My husband has a good job, I am an RN, and I got Wick, They gave me a free breast pump." She offered me pain meds again, almost a little pushy about it. Being a nurse, I know that sedated patients are easier patients. But this was MY day and MY baby and I was doing it MY way. So we waited...
This is when my contractions started getting really strong. I am a quiet person, and do not like an audience or being the center of attention. But this was some serious pain and that I couldn't help but moan and groan. I told Joey I was ready for my epidural, so he called the nurse for me. They said I couldn't have it yet. So he told them to bring me some pain medicine. In the midst of all of this, Joey decided to ask me if the contraction on the way to the hospital was really a ten. It wasn't. But I didn't want to talk about it. It seemed like 3 forevers before she came in with the pain medicine. She finally got there and told me their machine was down, that's why it took so long. She also added that she was going to add some Phenergan to it, so I wouldn't get nauseated. I got your number, Rwanda, don't think I don't know what you were doing! But I honestly didn't give a flip at the time. At this point it's a very big blur. I remember everyone getting there and feeling so sleepy. It was like I knew everything that was going on, just couldn't communicate it (they gave me Stadol). I remember Joey saying "I'm just glad she is resting." And me thinking "I hear yall!" I also remember feeling really, really hungry. Of course I could not eat yet, but it was all I cuold think about. I have been told that I brought up breakfast several times during labor.
Throughout all of this, I was progressing really fastly. I went from about 3-4cm to 9 in like a half hour. Some new faces were coming in, I don't think I saw Rwanda after that. And the next girl (wish I remembered her name) was really good. I did get my epidural at some point in time, not sure when. I asked the nurse if I could lay on my side, which she said was okay. The next thing I know, nurses are running in with the fear of god in their eyes and the alarms are going off. They made me turn to the other side, and watch me for a while. Josie's heart rate had gotten really slow, but was back up. They left, and a few minutes later it happened again. I do not remember how many times this happened, but finally Dr. O'neal came in and say we need to go ahead and have this baby! He said his shift was over, but he was going to stay with me.
I will not go into too much detail on the next 40-45 minutes. But it was tiring. Everyone knows how much I love my chapstick, Joey kept offering that and ice chips to me over and over and over. He was being the good little attentive husband, but for the first time ever, chapstick was the last thing on my mind. Her heart rate continued to dip lower and lower, and the next thing I know there are 2 doctors and about 4 nurses in there mashing on me and stressing me out. Joey had the look of panic on his face, too. But I could tell he was trying to hide it. All of the hard work finally paid off at 7:59am, when my perfect baby girl entered this world, flawless.
Dr. Oneal placed her on my belly. I remember looking at her, and then looking at Joey. We made eye contact and kissed. It was an instant connection. Words can't describe the calmness and contentment that came over me. She was perfect in every little way. They took her to assess and weigh, and I just quietly watched from my bed. 7lb, 30z and 20.5 inches of perfection.
Our families came in to share the joy, and we all took turns holding her and checking her out. After I bonded with my little person, I made sure the next important thing was in the makings... breakfast. After finishing my entire tray of bacon, eggs, and biscuits, I sent my dad down to get me some donuts. Was anyone else this hungry throughout or after labor? It was really weird.
I felt like they took her too soon. I wanted to attempt to nurse her and do all of the things I had planned on doing, but they had to bring her to the nursery. The crowd followed her there, which is to be expected (except Joey of course). And then he heard they put a bow in her hair, so he was gone, too. I was wheeled to my new room.
Alot had gone down from 2am to 7am. I had a wonderful, wonderful experience, and would not change a thing. Besides the little scare with Josie's heart rate, it was perfect. My labor was short and not even very painful. I have been told that I am fortunate how it all happened so quick! In our new room, we got settled in and visited with family. That afternoon when the visitors were gone and we had Josie all to ourselves, the 3 of us took a nap together and it felt so right! I think Joey went home at one point to shower and take a breather. I let Josie sleep with me in my bed that night, and Dr. O'Neal coming in really early to check on me the next morning. He said "You better be careful, the next thing you know she will be 3 and in the bed with you!" I said "I know, it just feels right"! He smiled and said "I know, it's natural". I had absolutely no pain or fatigue after delivery. Josie and I were released on Tuesday.


This is the video made by Christi, if you did not get to see it last year. I must say I just watched for the first time in a while, and it had me in tears! Precious memories! You will have to copy and paste for now, until I can figure out how to get it uploaded on here. Sorry!
http://www.peepadeedle.com/for-joey-and-katie/
4 comments:
I teared up reading that! Very sweet :) I love you guys! I will always remember that day. I think I remember yours better than my own haha! Dang pain meds...
What a great memory! One day Josie will get to read that and see what wonderful parents she has.
Such a good story. I got chills
That video is beautiful!!!! Your story was amazing. I am VERY jealous of your experience. You will hear about mine in just a few short months:) They are growing up too quickly!!
Post a Comment