Before we left for the week, we sat down with our captain and he went over all of the spots we could stop and let us help him choose our itinerary. The island of Anegada was a little off the beaten path, but he said we could leave fairly early one morning if we wanted to see it, and that the lobster dinner was really delicious there. He also added that it was probably his favorite island, so we decided to go for it.
How happy am I we didn't skip this place. It was my favorite day and place of the whole trip! It was a couple hour sail after a fun evening of cocktails... but we rehydrated and took in the beautiful views.
This picture shows just some of the hurricane damage. The islands were hit hard, in fact we were worried that our trip may be cancelled. All of the resorts in the BVI were closed and completely wiped out, and our chartering company lost many boats. You could definitely see the aftermath and it was not good. It didn't effect us... as the natural beauty is still unreal, but it was hard to see first hand what these people had went through and were still trying to recover from.
As we pull up to Anegada, I remember thinking how not special it looked. No mountains, no big trees, lots of brush, no rock formations... I was kinda confused. I asked the captain if the hurricane was bad there, and he said no, that it was spared. We got off the boat, were greeted by an older black man named "Bred", who had the biggest smile from ear to ear that was ready to give us a lift to the Anagoda beach club. As soon as I walked up and smiled at him he said oh I see your smile, y'all are my kind of people. He told us to hop in the back of his truck. From there we traveled down non-paved roads with not much to look at but a few chickens and goats and a bunch of brush. There was no asphalt, no signs. just us riding in the back of a pick up truck to we are not sure where. Anegada only has a population of about 300... they all live in one area that we did not see.
He dropped us off and left... still not too much to look at but we see a bar with one lady behind the bar, and a path right behind it leading to the beach. We walked through the path... and this!!
This beach was BEAUTIFUL! The guys grabbed a beer and us girls had to go for a walk.
Out of order pic of when we first arrived...
None of us wanted to leave this beach. It was such a fun day, going for walks, collecting conk shells (they were everywhere!), listening to music.... now we are starting to understand Anegada.
We wanted to bring home more, but they are kinda awkward to travel with, so we all too one home.
That night, they had organized a lobster dinner on the beach for us. This is also something we weren't sure we wanted to do, but are so glad we did. I also want to note that all the girls wanted to look cute that night (except me), and tried to talk me into dressing up for pictures and I refused and now I wish I did.
Cocktails flowing =)
The dinner set up was a little bar with tents, with a DJ booth you can see in the background of the next pic. They were busy pulling out plastic tables and putting on plastic table cloths. I had no idea such a simple set up could set up the most delicious food. I had a seafood spicy pasta. Joey got the lobster which I tasted and it was the best ever.
Matt, Megan, me and Joey
Do you see this smile this guy had? Every person we encountered on that island had that same smile. I have read before that the suicide rate in the islands is lower than any place in the world and now I see it. They live the most simple life. no pressure, no expectations. But they are so friendly and happy. I just loved them! After our scrumptious dinner, we danced the night away in the sand (so glad there are no pictures of that because I was told I was doing a mean Macerena) and shared lots of good laughs (especially Brett's piranha face).
The beach we visited during the day was a "resort" that has these huts right on the beach and Joey and I think we need to go back one day. It is called the Anegada beach club. Simplistic beauty!!!
Anegada... I LOVE YOU!!
















No comments:
Post a Comment